Long Braids and Twists Styles

I have noticed and I am sure you have too, that the trend among young girls is that of very long braids and twists extensions.  I prefer to that to long, straight weaves, but I must tell you the down side of this trend of long and or very thick braids and twists styles.

Long braid and twist extension are weighty, due to the weight of synthetic hair (It would be cost prohibitive to have human hair which is much lighter in weight at this length) and the longer the braids or twists, the more weight there is.  This weight can actually pull your hair out of your head damaging your follicles and you could have temporary or permanent hair loss unless you are careful.  What you could end up with is called traction alopecia, loss of hair from friction and too much weight put on your own hair from long braids and twists.

To avoid loss of hair from long extension I recommend:

1. that the amount of braids should not be excessive
  2. that the amount of  hair extension used for each braid should equal the amount of your hair at your scalp
  3. that you do not get this type of style multiple times in a row – after having it once, switch up to another less weighty style
  4. that you keep this style in no longer than 4-6 weeks

These long braid styles are fashionable, cute and sexy, but you must be careful at all times to, protect the health, strength and integrity of your own hair.  Always consider your own hair and the affects that any style will have on your hair for the long run.

For more information check our website and or fill out our Consultation Questionnaire if you would like to have one-on-one advise on what styles would be suit you and your lifestyle.

Did you like this? Share it:
7 Responses to Long Braids and Twists Styles
  1. josetth
    September 24, 2012 | 8:58 am

This is sound advice. I tried it once but not again! :)

• Anu Prestonia
      September 27, 2012 | 8:13 pm

I know what you mean Josetth. I didn’t try the long braids but I had a heavy style (Grand Twists) and I quickly found out that I could not carry it. My hair looks thick but it’s actually rather fine and I kept that style in for about 36 hours and could take it no more. The young model who had it done the same time as I did said she had no problem whatsoever with it. But her own hair is really very thick. You have to know what works best for you and your hair so that you make the right decisions for the long run.

2. Shamieka
    September 24, 2012 | 12:26 pm

Hi,

Thanks for the advice. I am considering the “patra” style braids this winter!

3. Suzanna
    September 24, 2012 | 4:31 pm

I do not have a website yet but you may visit me on facebook at Suzanna Dunn

I agree with everything you said. from one hair-designer to another, you are doing a beautiful job. The only other suggestion I would have for the long braids long twist styles, would be to use yarn instead of the synthetic hair. What do you think.

• Anu Prestonia
      September 27, 2012 | 8:10 pm

Hi Suzanna,

Thank you for the accolades. Yarn is definitely an alternative for a lighter weight fiber if you like that look. I personally don’t like it for myself but I have seen it look very lovely on others.

4. avandia-sideeffects.com
    December 22, 2012 | 12:01 pm

Long Braids and Twists Styles | Ask Anu – A Natural Hair Blog,
    was a fantastic name to give this valuable blog post.
    Where exactly may I actually browse more regarding this?

• Anu Prestonia
      December 26, 2012 | 2:40 pm

You can put alopecia in the search box for more info regarding this topic.