Faux Locs Look

This  Style is our Faux Locs Look worn by client and Technology Business Analyst Dorothy Joseph.   Dorothy comes off as a real pro here rocking her Faux Locs in her own sophisticated way.   There are many out there who wonder what it would be like to have Locs.  Often these “scared to Loc folks” admire Locs when they see them on others, but when it comes to themselves, they are a bit timid about making that commitment.  Some opt for extension Locs, which I will admit can leave one with sticker shock.  This makes our Faux Locs Look a great alternative.  If you’re interested in locking from extensions or just having a temporary Locs look, this is just the style for you.

This gorgeous kinky look  resembles the touch and feel of Locs.  The Faux Locs Look can be worn indefinitely, if you’d like to Loc your own hair from this style.  Or if you don’t want to Loc, this style should be removed by the 3rd month.  Try this look to get a feel for how you would look in Locs.  Fine hair requires more extension hair for fullness.  Thicker hair requires less extension hair.  For best results your hair should be no longer than 2-4 inches long.

Have you been longing to Loc but were afraid of the commitment or scared of the process?  Tell us your thoughts on this matter.

Did you like this? Share it:
23 Responses to Faux Locs Look
  1. MissDee
    April 2, 2010 | 9:30 am

I too suffer from Loc envy. I’ve always admired them & imagined myself with them. But I’m too chicken to commit. Locing your hair is truly a committment & I like having the option of switching up my hair styles at a whim. Whenever I thought of natural hair, locs always came to mind. Nowadays there are so many wonderful styling options for natural hair besides locs, it’s too difficult to choose! A wonderful dilemma!

This is a great option for people like myself.

• Anu Prestonia
      April 6, 2010 | 11:22 am

Yes MissDee,

We are blessed today with any number of options for our hair and how we want to be seen. And we can easily switch it up at a moment’s notice. There’s no need to commit to anything you’re not ready to commit to. Instead, have fun and try all the options.

2. Shay
    April 14, 2010 | 8:32 pm

They look great. But forgive me if I don’t see them as locks. They look like WELL done twist (not kinky twist though). I really like them!

3. Anu Prestonia
    April 14, 2010 | 9:31 pm

You’re right. They are not Locs but they have the look, especially from afar. And they definitely have the feel of Locs because they are kinky. It’s the closest thing to the experience if you don’t have real Locs or don’t want to get Loc Extensions.

4. Matalie Martinez
    April 16, 2010 | 10:22 am

How is this look created? Is the hair twisted with (Yarn) or what kind of hair is used? They are very pretty but I’m wondering if this style will pop my own hair. They look kinda heavy..

• Anu Prestonia
      April 16, 2010 | 11:38 am

Hi Matalie,
      This two strand twist is created with kinky human hair. We adjust the amount of the hair to suit each individual client. This particular model has a very thick head of hair that could support this size twists. If your hair is thin or weak, we would not recommend twists styles and definitely not a kinky twist.

5. JANIE
    September 5, 2010 | 7:02 pm

I ALREADY HAVE ABOUT 2 INCH LOCS. CAN THIS HAIR BE APPLIED FOR MORE LENGTH AND IF SO HOW CAN I APPLY IT. I CANNOT AFFORD LOCK EXTENSIONS.

• Anu Prestonia
      September 7, 2010 | 9:46 pm

Dear Janie,
      Yes, this hair can be used for adding length to extensions. You might consider just experimenting.

6. Tameka
    September 6, 2010 | 8:12 pm

Hi,

I was browsing around and happened to find this; I’m looking to do some loc extentions, but I’m worried about the type of hair I use because I want to wear it indefinitely so, I wanted to ask, is the ‘cotton spiral hair’ that you use human hair? Can it be styled using heat and rollers? Can it be coloured? Will it act pretty close to my own hair (I have natural, very tightly coiled hair 4b/c)? I really hope it does, becuase I love it! I’m in China at the moment so getting products and hair isn’t easy, but luckily I can do my own hair.

Oh! and what length does it kinda stretch out to?

Any advice would be great!

Thanks,

Tameka

• Anu Prestonia
      September 7, 2010 | 9:51 pm

Dear Tameka,
      The Cotton Spiral is human hair. Yes, you can use heat and rollers to set the hair. But you’ll have to wait until it softens up a bit. I don’t recommend coloring it. It would be better to just have the color you want, put in initially. It stretches out approximately 10 inches or so.

7. Penda
    January 10, 2011 | 6:45 pm

Just wanted to know would I have to cut off my permed ends to get this style. I plan on starting locs this way.

• Anu Prestonia
      January 11, 2011 | 1:13 pm

Dear Penda,
      It is not necessary to cut your permed ends off. Just as long as you have healthy, natural hair at the roots, this style will work.

8. Penda
    January 12, 2011 | 10:22 pm

Thank you. I will be calling for a consultation soon.

9. Lisa
    May 15, 2011 | 11:38 pm

The replies above have been really helpful.

I’m looking to loc my hair as soon as possible, I still have a perm but enough new growth to loc. My problem however is that I am living in the Islands/Caribbean and am wondering if there is any suggestions for an alternative hair to use instead of cotton spiral?

• Anu Prestonia
      May 16, 2011 | 5:23 am

Lisa, I’m not sure what living in the Caribbean has to do with using cotton spiral? Please explain. In the meantime, you can really use any texture you want, but in terms of a texture that is closest to simulating a Loc look, cotton spiral is it.

10. Lisa
    May 16, 2011 | 6:05 am

Hi Anu,I was speaking of the availability of getting the hair, here in the Caribbean…

• Anu Prestonia
      May 17, 2011 | 4:31 pm

Lisa, we do ship to the Caribbean, it’s just an additional shipping cost.

11. Ugoo
    February 2, 2013 | 11:45 am

Hi, I need your help. I have this hair style on right now but the problem is….when I put the hair in hot water to curl it ,it became very hard,like stone hard. My hair is stiff.i I’m not really enjoying the hair and I’m scared it’s gonna cut my hair. Pls do you have any idea how I can soften ? Thanks

• Anu Prestonia
      February 5, 2013 | 11:30 am

Are you saying the extension hair gets hard or your hair. If it’s extension hair, it may be the type that should get wet. You can try using a leave in conditioner to soften it after you wet it. And try different temperatures of water. Also, you may want to check with the Stylist who did your hair to see if she has any tips on how to properly manage the hair.

12. Yvette
    June 4, 2013 | 8:51 pm

Hello I have fine hair with alepecia of the hairline will this style work for me? And do u have a product to help with hair lost?

• Anu Prestonia
      June 5, 2013 | 4:02 am

Hi Yvette,
      We would need to see you in person to determine how severe the damage is and if it’s reversible. Please schedule a consultation with us.

• Yvette
        June 6, 2013 | 2:05 am

I would love to but I live in Michigan

• Anu Prestonia
          July 9, 2013 | 4:19 pm

I get that Yvette! If ever you have the opportunity or make the decision to visit NY, please do put us on your agenda.